What you need to know about the application and admission process:
- Open enrollment begins January 1, 2023.
- The lottery for the Hempstead District is open to all eligible applicants applying to grades K-12. The lottery will be held on April 4, 2023.
- The lottery for the Uniondale District is open to all eligible applicants applying to grades K-12. The lottery will be held on April 3, 2023.
- The lottery for the Wyandanch District is open to all eligible applicants applying to grades K-3. The lottery will be held on April 3, 2023.
- Only one application will be accepted per child
- An application must be submitted for each sibling before the lottery deadline
- If information on the application is incorrect, the application will be considered invalid, and any offer made for a place in the school based on this information will be taken back
- Child must 5 years old between January 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023
- The school is a public school open to all applicants entering grades K-12, based on space availability within each grade.
- Any child qualified under the laws of New York State for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL; there is no tuition.
- Students who have a disability or who may be in need of special education services or programs are eligible for admission into the school on the same basis as all other students.
Students will be admitted to the school by lottery
- All applications must be received by April 1 and will be separated by grade and entered into the lottery.
- Preference will be given to siblings enrolled at THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL, students residing in HEMPSTEAD UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT, UNIONDALE UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT, WYANDANCH SCHOOL DISTRICT and then students and staff of THE ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOL
- If students do not accept their spots by the registration deadline, those spaces will be given to students on the waiting list.
WHAT IS A CHARTER SCHOOL?
Charter schools are independently operated public schools. All charter schools operate under a contract with a charter school authorizer. They hold the charter school to a high standard outlined in their “charter.” There is no fee to attend. Students are entered into the school through a lottery system.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- You will be required to Register your child in the school district in which you reside
- Apply for busing if needed at school district in which you reside by April 1st (The school does not provide busing)
- Parents/Guardians will be notified by email/text if their child has been accepted
- Each child is given a number at the lottery
- All children who have not been accepted will automatically be added to our waitlist by the number your child received during the lottery
- If parent/guardian’s address or phone number changes, please update it through Power School so that we may contact you in the event that the student is offered a place at the school. Please ensure an email address is provided.
Non-Discrimination Statement: A charter school shall not discriminate against or limit the admission of any student on any unlawful basis, including on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, disability, intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, race, creed, religion or ancestry. A school may not require any action by a student or family (such as admissions test, interview, essay, attendance at an information session, etc.) in order for an applicant to either receive or submit an application for admission to that school.
Careers | Staff Resources | District Wide Safety Plans | Policies